Upgrade to a Google Analytics 4 property
Set up a Google Analytics 4 property alongside your existing Universal Analytics property.This article is for website owners who are using Universal Analytics and want to try out a Google Analytics 4 property. What’s a Google Analytics 4 property? Learn more.
When you click Upgrade to GA4, you create a Google Analytics 4 property that collects data alongside your existing Universal Analytics property. Your Universal Analytics property is left unchanged and continues to collect data — you can always access it via the property selector or Admin screen.If you use a website builder or CMS-hosted website (for example, WordPress, Shopify, Wix, etc), use your website builder’s/CMS’s custom HTML feature to tag your site. Follow these instructions. Do not simply paste your Measurement ID or Tracking ID into the field that your CMS provides.
Upgrade to GA4
- In Google Analytics, click Admin.
- In the Account column, make sure that your desired account is selected. (If you only have one Google Analytics account, it will already be selected.)
- In the Property column, select the Universal Analytics property that you want to upgrade.
- In the Property column, click Upgrade to GA4. It is the first option in the Property column (directly above “Property Settings”, which is second.)
- Click Get started under “I need to create a new Google Analytics 4 property”.
- If your site uses the gtag.js, tag, you have the option to Enable data collection using your existing tags. Note for advanced users: If you’ve implemented any custom tags for your Universal Analytics property, this option won’t replicate the functionality for your Google Analytics 4 property. Learn more.
- Click Create Property.
Analytics now creates your new Google Analytics 4 property, copying basic data such as the property name, URL, timezone, and currency from your Universal Analytics account. You are taken to Setup Assistant in your new Google Analytics 4 property.
If the Upgrade to GA4 wizard provided the option to “Enable data collection using your existing tagging” (and you left this option selected), your new Google Analytics 4 property should now be collecting data.Note: It can take up to 30 minutes for data to begin appearing in your new Google Analytics 4 property.
To verify that data is being collected, select Realtime from the report navigation. Browse your website. You should see activity in the Realtime report.Make a note of your Google Analytics 4 property’s name so you can find it later. If your Universal Analytics property name is “Example property”, your GA4 property name will be “Example property (12345678)”, where 12345678 is a property number.
Upgrade to a Google Analytics 4 propertyhttps://support.google.com/analytics/answer/9744165?hl=en&utm_id=ad